OUR GRAVES AND MONUMENTS
We are aware that there are approximate 325 coffins, but only 217 are indexed. We know that there were burials prior to 1863, but are not sure where or when. Unfortunately, during the Civil War, records were lost in the chaos, in spite of the efforts of the Swiss Consul and Red Cross to continue its supervision.
Enrique Dart y Anglin, a British Consul and founder of the Cemetery, retired to Brighton, England, where he died on 11th November, 1894; he was buried in Kensal Green Cemetery in London. There is a monument in the Cemetery to his memory adorned with this inscription: “Erected by the British residents and other friends in Valencia as a token of esteem for his worth and many valuable services as British Vice Consul and personal friend during his 39 year residence.”
Two British Consuls, who frequently officiated at burials, are buried in the Cemetery
- Edward Harker (Born Hull 5th October, 1865 – Died Valencia 5th April, 1934) and
- Francisco (Paco) Dalby (Born Valencia 25th April, 1908 – Died Valencia 13th April, 1988)
The first listed burial for which records currently exist was that of 8-year old Charles, son of Henry and Emma Morris, who died on 6th June 1863. Sadly 13 infants under 2, and 6 or more children also failed to live a full life.
However, our “oldest resident” is Ino Mauricio Jahiel Matalon, born in Salonica, Greece, who
lived to the great old age of 99 and was buried with full Jewish rites, when he passed away in September 1985.
Alfred Faulconbridge (1864-1932), born in Liverpool, who founded in 1905 the “Sporting Club de Tenis” now days known as the Valencian Tennis Club, also rests in the Cem. His tombstone reads: “In loving memory of Alfred Faulconbridge, beloved husband of Helen Falconbridge”.
Albert Hindley, Chairman of Blackpool Football Club, suffered a heart attack whilst holidaying in Valencia the 1962, and was laid to rest here aged 70.
Lt. Commander (Ret.) George Johnstone (1880-1934) was the Scottish-born son of Admiral Charles Johnstone.
There is even the grave of an escapee from Pentonville Prison, who must remain nameless, but was captured by the Spanish police in 1966 at the age of 30, and died shortly afterwards from diabetes.
The impressive pantheon of black marble was initially created after the death of Henry Fink, who came from England to drive the first train. He and subsequent members of the Rees, Behn, Tapp, Eknes, Bartle, and Morris families spent their working lives improving Valencia’s infrastructures, industries and commerce … and now all lie at rest.
The latest burial on 21st August, 2012 was of Guillermo Fink Herreros, a descendent of Henry Fink.
Graves are laid out in rows in the traditional garden setting, and some sadly have lost their identity due to age or vandalism. However, locations may be established by contact with Trevor Nicholas, Honorary Administrator: Tel. (0034) 963344804, Mob. (0034) 670400622.
British Protestant Cemetery is kept locked because of vandalism, but anyone wishing to visit the grave of a loved one, or to meditate within the Garden, may gain admittance by calling the Hon. Administrator, Trevor Nicholas, in advance: Tel. (0034) 963344804, Mob. (0034) 670400622.
The Cemetery is always open during All Souls Day (1st November) the traditional day in Spain for such visits.
INFORMATION ABOUT BURIALS
For those who wish to be interred in the ground, rather than in a niche, the British Protestant Cemetery is an opportunity available to those of all nations, creeds and faiths.
A ceremony, whether civil or religious, and burial may be organised by co-ordination with the Hon. Administrator, Trevor Nicholas.
Tel. (0034) 963344804, Mob. (0034) 670400622.